Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Ethan


500,000 names in one book. Most popular girl names. Most popular boy names. Popular movie names. Celebrity names. Bible names. French names. Spanish names. Turkish names. Fashionable names. Native names...
The result, a printout of 200 girl names.

I always dreamed about naming my daughter Chloe. Chloe was my first perfume. (Yes friends. At 12 years old I had my own bottle from Karl Lagerfeld before he took over Chanel.) Do you think we should add another name? I asked my ever-patient-loving husband. Maybe..Nadine? Nicole? Adriane? Amelie? a character from a movie? a famous actress? Maybe Natalie? Penelope?.."Baby, we're having a boy".
It took me quite awhile to understand or even accept the fact that I'm not buying those cute gingersnap summer dresses. Not that I preferred a girl over a boy.. It was mainly for selfish reasons.

So I was back googling boy names.

I remember my cousin insiting her daughter be named after a flower...from space. Excuse me pinsan? That is not even possible. She named her, Space Dandelion. Totoo!! Imagine the Parish Priest's reaction during the Baptism rites.

I had a dormmate named January Juan. Her sister's name...May Juan. Yes, born on labor day...inside the labor room? Hah!

I thought about the name Ethan while driving & catching a glimpse of another driver who looked so much like Ethan Hawke. I followed his car down to Katipunan Avenue. He turned & swear to God he was 90% Ethan Hawke.

..I searched for the name Ethan. Strong & Firm. Exactly what I would want him to be. Now maybe he'll marry Uma.

No comments: