Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Fave Eats

I have a weird mix of food cravings... It may depend on the weather, my mood, probably even my hormones. Something sweet, salty or spicy. Something fried, overly deep fried and oily. Something hot and comforting like chicken macaroni soup. The taste of parmesan on pasta, the greasiness of Chinese fried dumplings and noodles, the spice of Pad Thai, the weird taste of burned pig intestines on a stick.





1. I looovee lots of ice on my Halo-Halo. Best for hot sticky days at home.

2. The dreaded Isaw. Frederick's BBQ in Marikina (San Roque) still has the best Isaw. I'll give another thumbs-up to that orig BBQ stand along Panorama St. in SSS Village.





3. Sbarro's Baked Ziti. Ok, so Sbarro is fast food and it's not really one of those classy Italian restaurants. But the taste of hot baked mozzarella with parmesan on top of fresh tomato sauce is just heaven.



4. Haw Flakes. A weird but favorite snack. Brings back childhood memories.


5. Salmon sashimi. Yes I eat 'em raw and I can eat platefulls until I eventually breathe underwater. Best bought fresh from Farmers Market in Cubao. If there's an alternative, of course it's Tuna.

6. Oysters. Yes, I'm a self-confessed talaba monster. Once in Pangasinan, I ate 2 kilos. So I'm after those places like, Oyster Boy, Seaside, Marina, Fresca, Something Fishy etc. I don't like them with cheese or anything else. Just plain fresh oysters.

7. Tummy Ticklers at 4th Level Shangri-La Mall (just outside kiddie clothing store Big & Small) has cute bite-size hotdogs dipped in cornflour mix and deep fried. Sort of like a mini corn dog. Yum!

8. Inihaw na pusit a/k/a Grilled Squid at JayJs. It's just below Elorde's boxing gym, so its the best meal after a workout.

9. The best value meals are found at KaBero's, Teachers Village (a few blocks away from Bayantel office). They serve 2 sticks of grilled squid, garlic rice & rich sinigang broth for P75. The friend Tilapia meal is also priced the same, and the Tilapia is huge. Best with their inihaw na talong (grilled aubergines) and bagoong (shrimp paste).

10. Fried addidas (chicken feet). Best at Rasa Singapura. I don't think the resto still exists though.

11. Best Tacos at Pancake House. Yes aside from the Roast Beef, I go back for the Tacos.

12. Clams.. or Halaan. My mom used to buy giant Halaan, we'd put half a teaspoon of margarine on top, with minced garlic and onions, then place them on the grill. Superb!!!

13. Beef Enchilada plate (with rice and salad) at Mexicali. It's a good meal after a hard day's work when you feel like pigging out.

14. Cajun (Baby) Potatoes. Pre-boiled potatoes, olive oil, tons of paprika, crushed pepper, salt.

15. Smoked Salmon. Expensive, yes. But one should at least try it once. Smoked salmon+blue cheese+crackers. Smoked Tanigue at Pen Manila is delicioso.

16. Crostini and spinach pesto at Pasto. My son Ethan loved it. Takes after mommy. hahaha!

No comments: